Monday, September 5, 2011

MCDS Community Garden - Construction Begins!


My name is Scott Brennan, and I am an upper school teacher in the Humanities Department at Miami Country Day School.  I also serve as the coordinator for the new MCDS Community Garden which is scheduled to be complete in time for this year's growing season.  I am thrilled to launch this blog which will chronicle the development of the garden.  My Language Arts class, along with members of the Garden Club, will post updates regularly, thus keeping you up to date with the exciting evolution of this project.

The organic garden, about 1/2 acre in size, will be located north of the North Parking Lot, behind the convenience store located on 6th Avenue.  Here are the plans for the garden, which will be constructed in two phases.  I designed the garden after consulting with David Koehn, the CEO of a company called Watch My Garden Grow, Gary Butts, and Mike Caban, the Head of the Maintenance Department.  Mike and his crew are doing an amazing job of developing the land and constructing the raised beds!